Eastern Christian School Community,
As part of our continued commitment to open communication with the EC community, we wanted to share an update regarding our plans for learning in the fall.
Here’s a reminder of our communication timeline:
- On June 1, we said we’re assuming that we’ll be back on campus.
- On June 26, we said we’re definitely coming back and asked EC parents to complete a survey. This survey was meticulously reviewed by the educational leaders of the school and informed our planning process for reopening.
- Today, we’re happy to share our most current answers to your most pressing questions in this document.
- EC families can expect our full reopening plan within a few weeks
Thank you for your responses to the June 26 survey. Based on this vital feedback we are able to share answers to your most frequently asked questions. Please note that all of the answers are based on the current guidance that we have from the New Jersey Department of Education and state and local health authorities. It is always Eastern Christian School’s practice to strive to meet or exceed all standards set forth for schools in New Jersey.
- Will face coverings be required?
- Not for students in classroom environments where social distancing will be our primary method of protecting student health. So the vast majority of a student’s on campus experience will not include the wearing of face protection.
- In hallways, restrooms, and other areas where social distancing may not be possible, students in grades K-12 may be required to temporarily wear face protection while in those areas.
- As stipulated by New Jersey Department of Education standards, face coverings are always required for visitors, faculty, and staff.
- Will more frequent cleaning occur during the day?
- Absolutely! We have arranged for additional staff members tasked with cleaning and disinfecting high touch areas on our campuses multiple times throughout the day.
- We will be using products from the CDC’s N-list, which includes approved cleaning supplies and disinfectants. The products have been confirmed by our cleaning contractors against the CDC list which are certified safe for use in schools.
- What if I prefer a remote learning environment for my child?
- No problem! We will provide technical solutions ensuring every K-12 student has access to the instruction that is happening in the face-to-face setting.
- When can I drop off and pick up my child?
- Campuses will have more specific details
- This will be determined based on requirements for distancing.
- Will there be before/after care?
- While we certainly hope to be able to provide this service, we are still unsure as to whether we will still be able to provide this service within state guidelines.
- Will preschool students be socially distanced? Can they play with toys? Can they share?
- Social distancing looks different for young children than older children and adults. For young children, social distancing is all about reducing contacts. Class sizes will be small. Children will continue to play and learn together in these smaller groups.
- Recess time? What will that look like?
- Students will likely be grouped by cohort to reduce the number of others they interact with, and will have limitations on which areas they can use.
- Recess times will be staggered to limit the number of students on the equipment.
- Will we have athletics?
- NJSIAA is releasing guidance and our plan is to run our fall sports according to their guidance and our ability to meet those requirements.
Please continue to be in prayer for the leadership and staff of the school. There are literally dozens of EC administrators, faculty and staff members meeting and working very hard on a daily basis throughout the summer as we plan for a safe and successful reopening of our school.
We will continue to report on the work of these team members as their planning work continues through the balance of the summer.
Executive Director and Head of School