Eastern Christian Schools offer a well-established Homestay (Host Family Boarding) program. Our Homestay program successfully places students in an Eastern Christian Host Family home. Host Families have strong ties to the school. Most have children who are students or graduates. A number of Host Families have a family member who is on the faculty or staff. We believe that a family environment provides numerous advantages for international students including:
- Accelerated English acquisition in a total immersion environment. Students in English-speaking homestays demonstrate significantly higher gains in standardized test scores than students who are in a native-speaking environment.
- Ongoing cultural adaptation and understanding
- Personal attention from a family
- Consistent communication about a student’s well-being between parents and the homestay family
- Homestay placement based on the student’s profile and preferences
- All Host Families undergo a rigorous screening process which includes an application, interview and background check. They support the mission of Eastern Christian Schools and are committed to providing a caring home environment for students from another country. The homestay includes:
- A private room
- Three meals a day
- Transportation to and from school, activities and New York area airports
- Guidelines for students and homestay families that ensure clear expectations for daily living
- Ongoing access to a Homestay Coordinator who arranges student placement in a host family, facilitates communication between families and students, and assists in transportation to and from airports at breaks.