Transforming the World
Eastern Christian High School has taken an active role in Transforming the World by moving students out of their comfort zones and into a lifestyle of service to others. Through Faith in Action service projects and mission trip opportunities, students are challenged to look beyond their everyday lives and serve in their local churches, within the community, and overseas. Eva’s Kitchen in Paterson, Safe Haven Urban Redemption in Newark, East Coast International Church in Massachusetts, Touch the World Dream Center in Uganda, and Campamento del Caribe in Puerto Rico are a few of the ministries in which students have been involved. Transformation of the world is important, however, transformation of each student’s life and the their walk with Christ is the primary focus of any service project.
Experiencing Missions meets once a week during SOAR for 10 weeks – that means students can still take the class and earn 2.5 credits even if normal blocks are filled with other classes.
How does this class work??
Each class will run 8 weeks before your trip and 2 weeks after. You will meet once a week during SOAR with your team. During class or throughout the week you will watch videos, write journals, complete group projects, and read excerpts from different mission books. There will also be a Missions Retreat in a few weeks before the mission trip, which will focus on final trainings and team building. In October, there will be a trip specific information meeting that parents will be required to attend. (All dates will be set early next school year.)
Why is EC doing this??
At EC we strive to give students leadership opportunities where they can become a person of vision and influence. By compassionately serving others that are less fortunate than ourselves, we follow the mandate that Christ set out for us – to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. A life changing way is by sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ to everyone you meet. We believe that by giving students these opportunities to serve, they will embrace the diversity and global influence in our changing world that desperately needs to hear the love of Christ.
What will I do at each location??
- Lynn, MA (Boston) – You will partner with the East Coast International Church in Lynn, Massachusetts. Spend a week sharing the love of Jesus through word and deed with a community that needs Him desperately. The mornings are spent serving the church and it’s community through a variety of work projects. Afternoons and early evenings are spent meeting people and sharing that Jesus’ love is free through a variety creative outreaches.
- Puerto Rico – You will partner with Campamento del Caribe located near Juana Diaz, Puerto Rico. As a team you will complete a variety of construction projects around the camp during the day. After the local children get out of school, the team will host either soccer clinics or a VBS in the barrio. All projects completed will help to offset the cost of summer camp for the children living in the barrio. You will build friendships and share the love of Christ in a practical, hands-on way with the precious children on this Caribbean island! Check out their website to see all that they are involved with at www.campcaribe.com
- Uganda – You will participate in village life at the Dream Center in Gulu, northern Uganda. Much time is spent building community with the people and being active participants in their daily life and routines. Touch the World’s Dream Center is equipping former child soldiers and young people affected by the longest-running war in Africa how to rebuild a new hope for the future. You will be a part of making their dreams a reality! Check out www.ttwuganda.com to learn more!
How many days of classes will I miss for the Mission Trip??
- Lynn, MA – may miss Blocks 1 and 2 on the Monday following the trip to help recoup
- Puerto Rico – none – since the team will travel Saturday to Saturday
- Uganda – since this trip is during Spring Break students may miss an additional 3 – 4 days of classes. All teachers are willing to work with the students to make up the missed assignments.
Are the trips required??
Yes! In order to receive credit and to be enrolled in the class you must go on the trip. The mission trip will also put into practice the information and activities you have learned.
How much will it cost??
Until we know exactly how many students are enrolled in each class, the cost below is an estimate. The more students that sign up, the lower the cost for everyone since it spreads out some of the shared costs. Also, airfare is not included due to the fluctuation in prices. We do look for the best airfare deals and will book them ASAP.
- Lynn, MA – approximately $700 total
- Puerto Rico – approximately $900.00 plus airfare
- Uganda – approximately $1,870.00 plus airfare
Will EC help me raise the money??
No, EC will not be hosting any formal fundraisers. Parents and students must arrange for fundraisers to take place. Fundraising packets with prayer cards and support letters will be sent home to you at the end of September. You will need to send your support letters out quickly! If you know you are going, start fundraising now! The summer is a great time to earn extra money for your trip!
Who are the chaperones/leaders on the trip??
EC will provide the chaperones/leaders, all who have a passion to minister to students while serving on the mission field. All leaders must be approved by the administration and participate in the fundraising and training activities. There will be both male and female leaders.
Why is Touch the World Involved??
Touch the World is a ministry based out of Allendale that seeks to see the lives of students changed through missions by offering mission trips to areas around the world. Lynn, Puerto Rico and Uganda are just a few of the many locations that they send students. They will partner with EC to take care of all the logistical items (travel, communication with the missionary host, finances, and training). Many of the mailings and travel and medical forms you will receive will come from Touch the World.
How can I be sure that my child will be safe??
EC and Touch the World are in constant communication with the missionary hosts to receive updated information on what is happening in their local community. We also follow the suggestions from the embassy of each country and will make any necessary adjustments to the point of canceling a trip if it is unsafe to travel.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me by email email@example.com.
Experiencing Missions Teacher