The Head of School Blog series is posted regularly and will provide updates to the school community on a variety of topics.
Fall Update: Overflowing with Thankfulness
As we look back on the start of the 2021-2022 school year, we are “overflowing with thankfulness” (Col. 2:7). We have so much to be grateful for:
- Our spiritual theme for the year, rooted in Christ, is based on Colossians 2:6-7. “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness”. We were able to start the year with an inspirational message on this passage. It’s been exciting to hear students, teachers, chapel speakers and pastors reflect on the many ways in which our common roots in Christ shape us as believers and as a community. We are grateful for the daily reminders of the blessings in being firmly rooted.
- Enrollment is strong. Current enrollment is the highest it has been in over 10 years, with an historic number of new students. Of the 845 students enrolled, 239 of them are new! For the sake of comparison, we started the 2020-2021 school year with 710 students. This remarkable growth represents an increased interest in an Eastern Christian education and reflects trends in many of our sister schools throughout the state and the country. We are so grateful for the opportunity to provide a growing number of students with an excellent Christian education.
- We have excitedly welcomed many new families. PTOs have actively embraced those who are new to our community with welcome coffees and picnics. We were delighted to welcome back alumni and to welcome home new families at our reimagined and very popular HomEComing. We are grateful for so many new parent partners.
- We have introduced over two dozen new staff members. With the addition of so many new students and classes, we have been blessed to attract highly qualified, experienced individuals who are enthusiastic about living out the mission of Eastern Christian School in their vocation. We are grateful that God has called them to join and serve our school community.
- As we reflect on and affirm our rootedness in Christ, we want to be sure that our new students, families and staff are warmly welcomed and oriented. Our newest community members also present an opportunity for all of us to be reminded of some of our foundational beliefs and commitments. With that in mind, we will be running the EC101 blog series throughout the school year. It will cover some basic questions about Eastern Christian School:
- Philosophy: What does it mean for a school to hold and teach a Christian worldview?
- Governance: What is the role of the Board of Directors? How does it ensure that the school is thoroughly Christian and educationally excellent?
- Staff: Who are the people entrusted with our students’ education?
- Finance: How is an Eastern Christian education funded?
- Program: How does the school go about meeting its mission?
Thank you for your ongoing partnership in this high calling of Christian education. We are looking forward to reflecting on our rootedness in Christ together!
Blog, Elementary School, High School, Middle School, Preschool