Partnership between the church, home, and school is what drives EC in its mission. In December, EC held its first prayer summit to bring together members from each of these groups and discuss how we can best promote spiritual growth in our students. More than 65 participants–made up of roughly equal numbers of pastors, parents, high school students, and EC staff (including all three principals)–joined together in this important work.
The day was run by members of Project Focus, the high school club dedicated to promoting spiritual growth and leadership in students. Students led small groups in prayer and then an in depth discussion of how the church and home can best partner with the school to provide students with long-term spiritual growth opportunities. They discussed some of the current challenges in today’s society and how to encourage youth involvement in church. They shared the exciting things happening at EC, and they brainstormed ways for churches and the school to be more connected.
Conversations were rich and productive, and everyone in attendance was encouraged by the day. Yet it felt like just the beginning of greater things to come, and there is much work that we must continue to do in order to help students stay connected with lifelong networks of spiritual support.
Some of the ideas emerging from the Prayer Summit will guide the work of Project Focus and the school in the near future, including:
- Spiritual Emphasis Week at the high school–plans are already underway for the first week of the second semester.
- Church Liaisons–establish better communication channels between churches and EC to help get pastors involved on campus and students plugged into churches.
- Video testimonials from students to share with pastors and their churches.
- Focus groups of high school students to share with pastors about their experiences at church.
- Lunch prayer groups where local pastors can come and pray with/for students.
- Church connection bulletin board for posting events at area churches for students to access.
- High school students speaking at ES, UES, and MS chapels to share their testimonies.
- and more!
Please continue to pray for this effort and for a productive partnership between the church, home, and EC.
Reminder: Looking for a way to get involved? Each campus has a Parents in Prayer group that meets regularly. Contact your building principal with any questions.
Blog, High School