One of the major threads running through the fun community weekend for Eastern Christian School’s first ever Homecoming was the sports events that permeated the events calendar. Fall sports seasons are in full swing and Homecoming offered Eagles fans the opportunity to cheer on the blue and gold in a variety of venues!
On the weekend:
- Volleyball: EC Girls Volleyball kicked off the weekend festivities, but fell to league power Rutherford.
- Girls Soccer played a Friday night game at Willow Field. In front of a great crowd, the concession stand and mobile swag store buzzed with activity. EC opened the scoring early. Alyssa Botbyl had two goals off of two Erin Van Lenten crosses, but EC ultimately fell to the Panthers of Midland Park 6-3. Thanks to Rudi Gesch for announcing the game and adding some excitement to the event.
- Boys Soccer: The Saturday/Noon kick-off featured a league game rematch from earlier this year. League leading Pompton Lakes easily beat EC in that earlier contest, but Homecoming was a different story. Inspired by the large crowd in attendance, EC carried the 1-1 tie into the final 5 minutes. A late EC goal was called back due to offsides. On a later attack, EC hit the crossbar. Unfortunately, Pompton Lakes put in the game winner in the final minute of play for the heartbreaker. But it was a great effort and a great turnout. Thanks to Clixes hot dogs for providing great concessions including their famous “All the way” sauce! Thanks to announcer Ben Kuiken for adding your unique (and entertaining) take on the game for all to enjoy!
- Middle School Girls Soccer Defeated rival Hawthorne Christian. EC vs. HCA always brings about a friendly rivalry, and we were proud of our MS Girls Soccer team for handling HCA with a 5-1 victory.
- Alumni Soccer: We were thrilled to have 28 soccer program alumni players involved. With the graduation year of 2010 as a dividing line, the older alums defeated the younger alums 4-2. The fun atmosphere of the game was assisted by a great fan turnout and High School Boys soccer players playing the role of referees.